2013 Free BYOSD Plan
RingPlus is a community of free-spirited telecom users in which members interact with each other in an environment of trust and honesty. The following rules have been created to give all members equal opportunities to access and enjoy our service. The most important facts are summarized below. We take our commitment to honesty very seriously and, therefore, you deserve an explanation for all of these rules. Scroll down to the corresponding number of any rule to see the explanation for why it’s in place.
Members enjoy 300 free voice minutes and 50 texts per month in exchange for listening to ads during the RingBack tone period. If you need more airtime, texts, or data, you will be charged $.02 per voice minute, text, or MB of data. (Maximum $49 for unlimited national Voice/Text/Data and Browsing).
Members need to have a credit card on file, but will only be charged if they top up their accounts themselves. The minimum top-up amount is $5 + $0.45 transaction fee per top-up. (Money on your account will not expire).
National data use are available to all members to purchase (You have to top up your account to take advantage of these features).
Unfortunately, our BYOSD service is only available for Sprint devices which are not currently active. We don’t have permission for iPhones, Palms, Blackberries, push to talk devices, as well as Virgin and Boost phones to be activated on our network.
The ESN check only indicates that we can open a line to your phone – it does not guarantee that your phone will function, as there may be a software block on it or there may be other reasons not related to our service.
You have to make a successful phone call within the first 24 hours after signing up to keep your account.
Members have to use their phones regularly. It is not fair to other potential new members to hold on to a limited BYOSD plan and not use it. We reserve the right to deactivate a member’s account if we determine that she/he is not using their cellphone.
Only one active phone per member is allowed.
Standard RingPlus terms and conditions apply to these plans.
We have only email support at email@example.com Telephone support is not available.
1) Members each get 300 voice minutes and 50 text messages per month for free in exchange for being a willing listener to advertisements during the ringback tone. If you need more than this allotted amount or any special services, international calls, data, or special in-call application, you will have to top up your account. After you have used up your free time, we will bill you $.02 per voice minute, text and MB of data you use up to a maximum of $49. After this, we will switch you to the unlimited account for that month for voice minutes and texts, with 1GB of streaming data. Of course, you will have to pay additional charges if you want to make international calls or use more than 1GB of streaming data.
2) We will never charge your credit card for any minutes/texts you use beyond the free monthly limit. If you plan to use more than the free monthly amount, you first have to top up your account on our website. Then, we will deduct any minutes/texts used in excess of the free amount from your topped-up account balance. We keep your credit card info on file solely to determine your billing address. This is necessary for us to pay the correct telecom taxes on your usage. Don’t worry – we’ll pay the taxes, not you.
3) International phone calls and data cost the RingPlus community money, and advertisers don’t pay for them. Thus, we have to ask you to pay if you want to use them.
4) Please don’t attempt to activate push-to-talk devices, iPhones, Trios, and Blackberries, as these devices are unsupported by our system. Also, this plan is only valid for Sprint “mothership devices,” so please don’t activate any phones from Boost, Virgin Mobile, or any other MVNO. We do not have permission to activate any other company’s devices, and in addition they most likely will not function due to blocking software. Any mistaken activation costs RingPlus money and takes a valuable space away for one of our other members. If too many people try to activate the wrong kind of phone, they may jeopardize this service for all of us.
*We are obligated to and will immediately deactivate any Virgin or Boost devices that find their way onto our network.*
5) The ESN check only shows that we can activate a line to your phone – it does not show if your phone is software blocked by your old provider, or if it’s just too outdated to be transferred to us. We are a service plan provider, and as such we cannot support your handset-related problems at the moment. We recommend that you search the many support forums or contact your handset manufacture to resolve any issues regarding your handset.
6) Members have to make a call from their phone within the first 24 hours after activation. This rule is implemented as many people try to activate phones which cannot be activated on our system (such as Boost and Virgin Mobile phones) that take up valuable space on our system for other members. In the interest of all of us, we cannot hold these unused spots for long, and will have to cancel any account which does not make at least one successful phone call within the first 24 hours after activation.
7) Please understand that you will actually have to use your phone, and cannot just leave it in a drawer for future use. The main reason for this is that if you don’t make phone calls, our ad sponsors cannot play their ads to you and they won’t pay us for your free usage – however, we still have to pay to keep your line active. Therefore, when we determine that your line is not being used in a manner consistent with normal usage, we reserve the right to terminate your member account (minutes/data/SMS cost 2 cent).
8) Advertisers want you to hear their ads, but only want you to hear them once. Thus, having two phones on an account is unfair to the advertisers who will be paying your bill. At Ringplus, we believe that we have to be fair and honest to all our members and the people paying our members’ bills.
9) Check our terms and conditions.
hope my sprint byosd will work reset lost 400 phone #'s and then it would not let me in,its kinda sucking
Hi! Thank you, Ringplus, all for this wonderful free service. All your rules are very reasonable and the decision to not charge unless there is money in the account is an extremely kind one. However, I have a minor issue. I didn't realize there was a "one active phone per member rule", so I ended up activating two phones last night. I planned on using one and giving the other one to my little brother, who is too young to open up an account himself. Would I still have to cancel one of the lines? Thanks for answering!
I am in the same boat. When i added additional line for my wife and daughter under my account, i didn't know this rule of "only one active phone per member is allowed". Now, can I open a new account for my wife and daughter, then transfer their phone to their account respectively? Many thanks
Many people, including myself, use their phones mainly for data and messaging with minimal voice usage. Would using and paying for data constitute the "regular" use needed to avoid account termination?
I signed up for 2 BYOSD under my account. The 2 are for my folks who are non-techy and would NEVER be able to signup on their own. Their usage plans would make RingPlus perfect for them. Is signing up for others not permitted? Could you please clarify this because my folks would be greatly disappointed if I gave them the phones, but the service was later disconnected.
We found the policy changes, not allow two phones under 1 account. I was told we could have multiple phones with BYOD under one account before by CS. I setup a new account on Sept 6 to try activate a new phone which I bought for ringplus, but failed or on queue forever, so I know it allowed to have multiple byod phone under one account, I login to the old account, and it is activated under old account. but unfortunately, I cannot add it to this new account once this phone was activated on my old account.
My question: would you please help me move my new phone to my new account? As you know it is so hot and difficult to get the phone activated during 26 minutes openning window in late night yesterday (I am in east). I have one for my wife, and one for myself.
I also did not see these rules when I activated two devices on the same account. The devices are for two different people so I'm not sure I understand the "Advertisers want you to hear their ads, but only want you to hear them once." when in this case it is me hearing the ads on one phone and my adult son on the other phone. I was even considering setting one up also for my wife in the future. I would have thought that advertisers would want more people to hear their ads...the more the better right?
I also as many others in this thread have expressed would not want my account to be terminated over this. Would having the other person open an account in their own name and transfer the device be a possibility?
In the same boat here! I have two activated lines on one acct. I manage my Father-In-Laws cell service. Having one acct makes it easy for administration purposes. However, if this is not allowed and I am in violation, it was unintentional as I didn't see any rules.
A few thoughts:
1. Those of us who have the two accounts be grandfathered in as rules weren't avail or advised (at least I didnt see any rules when signing up ).
2. Web coding could prevent multiple accounts when using BYOSD in the future
3. Assist us in moving the second account to a new account for our loved ones to prevent violation.
Thanks again for a great service. We love RingPlus!!
Well there is a lot to digest in these rules and let me preface this with the knowledge that there are a lot people out there abusing this plan and it is unfortunate.
Prior to these new rules, I initially activated 2 phones during your Aug promo in order to try out the service and see if this was going to work for my wife and I.
I did not know at the time I was activating the phones, that both would have been lumped into one account where your usage is combined on your dashboard making it virtually impossible to note the usage between devices, nor that you don't use the installed voice mail app so you get no notification of a pending voice mail, unless you have data or WiFi turned on and you set up your e-mail account on your phone to notify you, and where voice mail notifications for both devices were sent to the same e-mail address further confusing the situation. Had I known this, I would have at least set up each phone with its own e-mail address. Now you are telling us that a single member can only have one device?
Also, it is hard to use the device regularly if your phone number is tied to a different phone because you don't allow porting of the number and where we are still not certain this is a good fit and don't necessarily want to port our numbers over, especially with several bugs and features not available as of yet. So you are telling us that lack of use may get a device deactivated, well, what do you consider normal use and which device do you decide to deactivate?
I work at home so I have no problem using the phone, except I don't even use a phone all that much to begin with and the wife wants her regular phone number to have as she is out and about and at work, so in a way it is a catch 22 for us to evaluate the service, but we are trying.
I want to use one credit card for both phones so there is one bill denoting our use, so there is another red flag under your rules.
All in all it makes you feel like a criminal for just trying to be proactive in subscribing to your service so we can eventually transition over. I mean there are some bugs that do need to be fixed before I ever truly commit. So, where do we stand on these issues?
Honestly, this should have been beta tested and the bugs worked out prior to opening the flood gates and if we all are the guinea pigs, then rules should not necessarily apply.
To me it is not just about free minutes, it is about a complete package that takes care of most of my needs and at least some of my wants for the long haul and that is what I am looking for!
Thanks for listening.
You guys are hilarious. Its only 0.02 / min or txt or mb. In my opinion that is ridiculous. I didn't make it in last night and you guys already have 2, yet still are complaining. I've resigned to just stick with a normal plan since the terms are already so good.
I guess you should have been there during the August release when it was open for a couple days and no rules telling you that you could not have multiple devices and where C/S said it was not a problem unless they notice that you are using up the minutes on one phone and then moving to the next and so on.
It also my understanding that the 2cent plan has many of the same issues as the free plan, so you had better look into that.
In all honesty, with all the bugs and the lack of basic features that every other service provider offers, this service truly makes it only good for back up. I am truly not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth, my big issue is that I am looking for a service to replace my current service that provides all the basic features of a cell service, just having a free 300 minutes + 50 text when you don't even know when someone left a voice message or the ability to send a simple mms is inadequate at the most basic level imo.
It is no wonder hordes are running out and getting a basic flip phone to throw in the glove box, so in some respects RP should not be so upset with that until they fix the bugs they themselves admit to having!
Yep, there seem to be a lot of people who just expect the world for free. Thanks Ringplus for the service you are providing. I look forward to the addition of MMS.
You want to clarify what the "world for free" includes, because I don't think anyone here with criticisms are asking for the world! It isn't free after the 300/50 are up or if you use data now is it, so we should not expect anything from a provider when we are paying for their service and advertisers, at least in theory, are picking up the slack?
So If I use 600 minutes 500+ text and a .5GB I don't deserve to have a service that provides all the basics that all other Sprint MVNOs offer? Seems I am the exception to the rule, I don't mind paying, where most just want a freebie and not pay anything!
The rules are reasonable, but I think this rule in particular needs to be quantified. I think it needs to be stated how often the phone has to be used in an exact number, and whether incoming calls and text messages counts as part of this "regular use", or if it's just outgoing calls, since outgoing calls seem to be the only time we hear ads.
Also, for all rule violations where people aren't outright attempting to commit fraud, there should be a warning (i.e. SMS, email, etc) that a rule has been violated and must be corrected in X many days before the account is deactivated. Some rules such as #7 in particular, may be violated unintentionally and members should be given a specific amount of time to correct this before their account is deactivated since loss of service and loss of a phone number can be a really huge hassle.
So we meant that we only will accept one device per member, not account. You can have multiple devices on one account. We can see normal usage behavior and when we suspect there is fraudulent sign ups, we reserve the right to make the 300 minutes shareable between the devices. Luckily, we haven't had too many of these issues. I hope your little brother enjoys his new phone!
You won't need to do that. We can see irregular usage, and, if you guys are really different people using the devices, we won't have any flags go off in our system. Enjoy!
Thanks for the compliments. We don't want to lose any members. We also don't want to disclose our security protocol to find potential abuse on the system. We do this because we don't want to give a blueprint for how to dodge the rules. We surely don't want to lose good members. Every deactivation is decided case by case by actual human beings here at RingPlus.
Just to clear up confusion: "Member" is a physical person. "Account" is the email associated with the devices. We allow multiple members on an account. However, our system can tell fraudulent behavior (irregular calling patterns, etc) and will flag it. We are doing our best to serve our BYOSD members and make the service better, and we hope you understand that these things take time. Remember, we are digesting all of the crowd information to make it better, and your ideas are not being ignored.
Porting will be coming very shortly, as well as a variety of other functionalities. Hang in there! The free service is like wine; it will get better over time.
If you're using data, then you've topped up and you are a paying customer so you have nothing to worry about
next page →